The hideaways are located on the south coast of Sri Lanka, about 78 kilometres from Galle, 208 kilometres from the centre of Colombo and 220 kilometres from Sri Lanka's main international airport, known officially as Colombo Bandaranaike International ('CMB').
The new Hambantota International Airport ('HRI') is 78 kilometres away.
Mawella Beach is little more than a kilometre from the main road connecting Galle to the Sri Lankan south coast and to Tangalle, the local market town ten kilometres away.
A Sri Lankan Airlines air taxi (actually a seaplane) runs from Bandaranaike International Airport to Dickwella aerodrome, which is on the lagoon just 500 metres from the hideaways. The flight time is approx 40mins.
Otherwise a luxury mini van can be arranged to collect guests from Colombo city or the airport (approximately 3.5 hours), from Galle (approximately 2 hours), or from other hotels or villas.
PLAN OF THE SHACK PLOTS
This is a plan, not to scale, of the three shacks, showing their location in relation to each other and to the beach. The empty plot belongs to the owners and there are no plans to build on it. The staff house and the land in front of it belong to the owners.
Beach: the tranquil sea in front of the hideaways at this end of Mawella Beach is excellent for swimming as it is protected by the adjacent headland and remains shallow for a good distance. At the far end of the beach there is generally good surf for boogie boarding. The beach is also excellent for running, frisbee and ball games. Note that there is no lifeguard on the beach.
The beach hideaways have boogie boards and bat and balls available. The beach has two good simple local restaurants. We tend to use the one nearest the Hideaways: we walk there, order our lunch, carry on to the end of the beach and then return for the lunch.
Further afield: the holiday hideaways are ideally situated to explore Southern Sri Lanka's many cultural and outdoor attractions:
- Surfing and snorkelling with the excellent and highly rated team at Bandula's Surf School
- Yala National Park (100 kilometres away) famous for leopards, elephants and birds including fish eagles;
- Seasonal turtle hatching at Rekewa (20 kilometres away), potentially followed by dinner at Buckingham Place, a highly rated hotel owned and run by a friend of the hideaways' owners;
- Udawalawe National Park (65 kilometres away)
- Kalametiya bird sanctuary providing bird watching via boat across fresh water lagoons bordered by palm trees;
- Whale watching excursions from either Mirissa (40 kilometres) or Dondra (22 kilometres), depending
- on the season;
- Temples such as Mulkirigala and Wewurukannala. Mulkirigala is about 30min drive from Tangalle. It is a monastic site on a 200m high rock rising straight up out of the forest, so it's a steep climb to the top.
- Cricket at the historic and incredibly scenic Galle stadium, or at Hambantota stadium, the latest international stadium to have been built in Sri Lanka (73 kilometres).
Thai massages by an experienced American can be arranged on sufficient advance notice and he is excellent; or guests can book at the nearby Amanwella hotel spa, subject to availability and season.
CHILDREN & PETS
Children are welcome and it is a good set-up for families, although there are no specific facilities for children other than the beach and associated sports. Parents should take note of the fact that there are no lifeguards on the beach and the current can feel strong for inexperienced swimmers. We can organise English-speaking childcare on sufficient notice.
We regret that pets are not allowed.
The beach hideaways and gardens are cared for by our local houseman, Indika who lives in a house situated behind Kotamba and Kahumba i.e., within 50 metres of all the hideaways. He is on hand to deal with and generally care for you during your stay. Each holiday hideaway is fully equipped with bed linen, beach towels and bath towels.
Indika cleans, washes up and tidies the hideaways and gardens every day.
The closest town is Tangalle which is about seven kilometres away. Indika can shop there for you. Tangalle provides a food market, a small supermarket and various other simple shops for day to day purchases. The fish shops sell a range of locally caught seasonal fish, prawns and lobster. It is a working fishermen’s town and does not have real tourist attractions.
Please note that once a stay has been booked we provide substantial notes and advice in greater detail as well as a map to find them!
RATES (per hideaway per night)
- April 1 to October 31, 2016: $150
- November 1, 2016 to February 28, 2017: $250
- March 1 - 31, 2017: $200 (see special offer below)
- April 1 to October 31, 2017: $150 (see special offer below)
- November 1, 2016 to February 28, 2018: $250
- Special offer: Enjoy Kahumba or Kumbuk with 3 nights for the price of 2 from Jan 15 to Jun 10, 2017 or Kotamba with 3 nights for the price of 2 from Mar 10 to Jun 10, 2017 inclusive.
- There is a minimum stay of three nights.
- Payment is via bank transfer only. We regret that payments by credit cards are NOT accepted.
- Payment of 50% should be made within 7 days of receiving a preliminary booking confirmation from us. Bookings are only confirmed after receiving 50% of the payment.
- The remaining balance must be paid at least 30 days prior to arrival, or on booking if the reservation is made within 30 days of arrival.
- More than 60 days before arrival: 20% of total
- From 60 days to 31 days before arrival: 70% of total
- Less than or 30 days before arrival: 100% of total
- No show or early departure: 100% of total
Payment and cancellation policies may vary with special offers.
We recommend that you take out insurance against cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
What is included
Cook (maybe shared with another of the hideaways), houseman, gardener, food shopping service, bed linen, beach and bath towels.
What is not included
All food and alcohol although these can be bought on your instructions by the team in the local markets.
Our houseman, Indika can arrange either tuk tuk or mini van transport for our guests for trips into Tangalle, day trips or to the airport. The air taxi seaplane flies from either Colombo airport or Galle airport and lands just 500 metres from the hideaways. The seaplane can also be chartered privately through Cinnamon Air.
The best weather runs from November through April. The rainy season is usually from May to July, although there is still plenty of sunshine. It gets drier in the months of August and September and then there are the autumn rains in October and November. December is probably the best time for diving and snorkelling because the sea tends to be at its calmest.
All you really need is light clothing by day, and then a sweater or jacket in case they are needed in the evenings. Trainers are suitable for light touring, but if you are planning to go on long walks or trekking then you should bring appropriate hiking boots. Do remember when visitng places of worship, whether as a tourist or a member of the congregation, you will be expected dress respectfully and to cover your legs, shoulders and upper arms. The beach is used by tourists, locals and fishermen alike so please be respectful.
Unless you are from Singapore or the Maldives, you will require a visa for entry into Sri Lanka. You can obtain a visas either online, or from the Sri Lanka Overseas missions, or from your travel agent or operator.